Time to Pack Up & Go?
Packing up belongings when moving house is a bit of a pain to say the least – and oh how we all love to put the packing off until the very last second! But there is one thing that you can do to make the packing process a bit easier when moving house – plan ahead. Following a packing plan helps to take the stress out of packing your belongings safely, smartly and securely.
- Have you got enough boxes?
- Have you breakables and family heirlooms that require special attention?
- What documents need priority?
- What items will you need to unpack first?
A Simple, Smart Packing Plan for Moving House
1. Make a list of the items you consider to be your priorities
This is also a great time to do a spring clean of your belongings, and to get some items together that a charity might be very grateful for. If you want to make some money from the you could hold a car-boot sale or auction them on E-Bay.
2. Calculate how many boxes you’ll need.
Be sure to get a range of sizes. Don’t have large boxes packed to the brim – it will be very difficult to move. Be sure to use sturdy, corrugated boxes. It’s also a good idea to enquire whether or not your contents insurance will cover damage and breakages during the move, on the off-chance that it may occur.
3. Use top quality packing items
4. Pack your ‘Essentials ‘ Box
You won’t be able to unpack everything in the first day of moving into your new home. It’s far easier to decide on what you will need to unpack and use a box or two specifically for this. REMEMBER TOILETRIES! Pack the boxes with the items you need the least, first.
5. Pack Intelligently
- Books have a nasty habit of appearing light, but suddenly it’s a ten ton weight when a box is full of them. Divide them up for ease of carrying.
- Wrap all valuables carefully.
- Take note of any furtniture that may require to be dismantled.
- Try to pack ‘Room by Room.’ Begin at the top and work your way down. Keep all boxes for each room together.
- Pack heavy items into small boxes. Make sure everything is being clearly labeled.
- All important documents should be packed and kept together.
Best of luck in your new home!
Hopefully some of these pieces of advice will be of benefit to you as you’re packing up your cherished belongings to relocate. If you have any questions or queries in relation to this please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the STP sales team. They’ll be happy to advise!
Moving House? STP can help. Find out more>>